[asterisk-users] G722 and Asterisk 1.6

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Sep 4 13:34:34 CDT 2008

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Thomas Kenyon wrote:

> Steve Repo wrote:
>>
>> I agree! I bought a GXP1200 ("business" class phone) and it's buggy.
>> Can't use the message button (404 not found).. and some other features
>> (404 not found). I have requested help from Grandstream and so far
>> nothing.
>>
> I've never heard of that problem, ar eyou sure the 404 response isn't
> coming from asterisk? (It works on all the GXP-2000's I have).
>
> The Lines all work, the BLF keys mostly work (It's better than not
> having any), The Transfer, Conference, Message (can have a separate
> mailbox setup for each line) etc. buttons all work.
>
> It's a shame they don't have a more standard headset port (like the
> Polycom). I havemn't experienced any problems with crashes or sound
> quality. (Although as I stated before, the G.722 codec isn't discernably
> clearer than the G.711 ones).
>
>> I don't really think they test important features supported by their
>> phones just the basic ones (dial out/dial in) and that about it :)
>>
> Apparently there are problems with some hardware versions, (I have 3
> different versions that have been okay) and most versions of the firmware.
>
> I'm on 1.1.6.16 and it's been fine. Don't see why it is worth spending
> almost twice the money to get a handset without features that (in the
> case of BLF) are needed.

I'd more or less agree with this - I've deployed dozens of GXP2000's.
(So-far only half a dozen GXP1200's) There does seem to be an issue with
old hardware though, but the current crop have been very stable under
1.1.6.16. Everything I've tried works - even BLF's. Downloading phone
books is a doddle and provisioning is easy with gsutil and a few bits I've
written myself.

I've yet to find anything that comes close, price wise, and right now,
price is what people (in the UK!) are whinging about...

Gordon