[asterisk-users] Ringing on Console after a page

Josiah Bryan jbryan at productiveconcepts.com
Wed Sep 3 15:12:14 CDT 2008

Hello, all -

Alright, after my fun with Asterisk crashing, I'm onto my next item in
my checklist of stuff-to-fix-after-upgrading. I've noticed a very
troubling problem when "paging" over Console/dsp.

(I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the "Dial" oddities that I
experienced with the "Crashing" problem in my other thread or not...)

The problem is that after the user dials the extension, connects, speaks
their page, hangsup, ringing is heard over the paging system (as in, the
tone heard when you dial a person and you hear the phone ringing - that
ringing tone - I don't know the "proper" term for it, but you get the
drift.)

I've gone through the source code, trying to figure out what it could be
doing - however, since this is the first time I've really looked at the
source for asterisk, I really didn't know what to look for.

Here's the relevant context (which is included in a general context for
all users):

[paging]
exten => 249,1,Goto(paging,s,1)
exten => s,1,Playback(beep)
exten => s,n,Dial(Console/dsp)
exten => s,n,Playback(vm-goodbye)
exten => s,n,Hangup

Here's the console output when I dial extension 249 to page. (I dial,
paging answers, I say whatever (or even just hangup immediately) - then,
right after the call termination, I hear the ringing over the paging
system. I have to *manually* issue then hangup command seen below to
stop it from ringing - however, the oddest thing is asterisk tells me
that there is no call to hangup. Its not like the console got transfered
to any extension - literally no channels active while the ringing is
taking place (core show channels reports 0 active channels even while
the ringing is heard.)

asterisk*CLI> set verbose 99
Verbosity is at least 99
     -- Zap/1-1 answered SIP/236-09f0ea20
asterisk*CLI> set debug 99
Core debug was 9999 and is now 99
asterisk*CLI>
     -- Executing [249 at playground:1] Goto("SIP/josiah2-09f0ea20",
"paging|s|1") in new stack
     -- Goto (paging,s,1)
     -- Executing [s at paging:1] Playback("SIP/josiah2-09f0ea20", "beep")
in new stack
     -- <SIP/josiah2-09f0ea20> Playing 'beep' (language 'en')
     -- Executing [s at paging:2] Dial("SIP/josiah2-09f0ea20",
"Console/dsp") in new stack
  << Call placed to 'dsp' on console >>
  << Auto-answered >>
     -- Called dsp
     -- ALSA/default answered SIP/josiah2-09f0ea20
  << Hangup on console >>
   == Spawn extension (paging, s, 2) exited non-zero on
'SIP/josiah2-09f0ea20'
Really destroying SIP dialog '49117d90-7442296e-1936e75f at 10.1.2.1'
Method: BYE
asterisk*CLI>  hangup
No call to hangup up

I'm open to any and all suggestions.