[asterisk-users] Inefficient Codec Translation

Jim Boykin boykinjim at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 05:05:20 CDT 2008

Brent/Steve, Thanks for the answer. Point here is that asterisk
already knows about first leg and the codec so shouldn't it select the
best codec for second leg to match first leg. Instead asterisk is
selecting first codec in order.

To illustrate, if the first leg was ilbc and second leg supports both
g729/ilbc, I will assume that asterisk will select ilbc but that does
not seems to be the case.

Jim

On 8/23/08, Brent Davidson <brent at texascountrytitle.com> wrote:

> Steve Totaro wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Jim Boykin <boykinjim at gmail.com> wrote:

> We run asterisk to handle incoming DIDs and we have observed
inefficient
> Codec Translation.

Here is the scenario

[DID Vendor]
------------------------> External
> GW [G729]

|-------------------> External GW [iLBC]

Our DID vendor and
> asterisk box supports both ilbc & g729. However,
our external gateway
> termination supports either ilbc or g729 (and not
both) and depending on
> users location, we terminate it on either
gateway.

Since DID and asterisk
> box supports both the codecs, we assumed that
asterisk will appropriately
> select codecs depending on where we
terminate the call so that no codec
> translation happens. However, this
seems to be an incorrect assumption and
> we see that different codecs
get selected on two legs which leads to quality
> drop and extra CPU
cycles.

May be we are doing something wrong. Pls suggest
> what we are doing
wrong. Below is asterisk
> configuration.

[did]