[asterisk-users] Offering FIFO service to receptionist with LIFO hardphone ...

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Wed Sep 3 00:30:34 CDT 2008

Hello,

Receptionist is currently using an hardphone which has what I call a "Last
In First Out behaviour" :
whenever a new call comes in, menus that appear in phone LCD relates to the
latest incoming call not to the on-going call (if another was already
established).

So if the receptionnist was in the middle of an assisted transfer, he/she
would have to answer incoming before finished previous ones.

Fortunately, the possibility to reject an incoming call remains.

My question is :
how would you program Asterisk to adapt to this phone and offer FIFO
service.

My first idea was to use Call Parking :
incoming calls are presented the way they are.
if receptionist don't want to deal with it immediatly, he/she would have to
reject incoming call
if a call is rejected (in Busy status in dialplan), it will be would have to
be somehow forwarded to a dedicated parking slot
dedicated parling slots are tied to dedicated BLF in receptionist hardphone
receptionist finishes ongoing calls
when receptionist becomes ready, he/she would dial parking slot (push
dedicated BLF).

But when I dig into this :
- without special care (Asserted-Identity ?), is CLI preserved (as I
obviously don't want to display number I dialed to reach parking slot) ?
- is ParkAndAnnounce working without announcement ?
- is BLF working (with Call Parking) ?
- should I ask receptionnist before parking or park immedialty (they asked
for FIFO)
- is there a better way with Queues, to handle this ?

Thoughs ?
Regards