[asterisk-users] Complete OS/Asterisk disk

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Oct 29 09:25:08 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:50:05PM +0000, Julian Lyndon-Smith wrote:
> What options are available for installing an asterisk system onto a
> bare-metal system ?
>
> Ones that I have seen:
>
> pbx-in-a-flash

Builds from osurce but hides its build scripts. Good luck with fixing
bugs there.

> trixbox

A binary distriubtion.

> astlinux

Builds everything from scratch. If you want to control everything (e.g.
the kernel and libc), it might be the ideal solution.

> What I am trying to achieve is to be able to shove a cd / usb into a
> machine and have it install asterisk, complete with my .conf files.
>
> I also need Cepstral installing.

The proecss is trivial to automate on just about anywhere. For
instance, you can find my version of the bristuff build tarball at

  http://updates.xorcom.com/astribank/bristuff/1.4/
  http://updates.xorcom.com/astribank/bristuff/1.4/bristuff-0.4.0-RC4-xr5.tar.gz

Check INSTALL.html / INSTALL for instructions.

To fit your model, run:

  ./download.sh

copy the resulting directory to a CD / USB key, install the system, and
on the target system run from that same tarball:

  ./prereq.sh
  ./compile.sh # also installs everything

With a bit of work it would work well on your favourite distribution
(and make it run automatically at the end of the installer)

> Ideally, I would like to be able to mount an .iso file, chroot into it,
> and update / compile / build whatever I need before burning the iso
> file. This would allow me (for example) to update the asterisk 1.4
> source as and when i desire.
>
> Does anyone know of anything that comes close to this ? I have tried
> astlinux, but cannot seem to get curl and jabber working properly, and
> haven't even tried to get Cepstral working :)
>
> Alternatively, is there any software that can turn an existing system
> into a package / .iso that can then be installed on another machine ?

If you package it into packages: yes. If not: yes, but you don't really
want it. You should be able to adapt your installation to different
environments, and not only to the specific partition size and colletion
of devices that happened to be used where you installed.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com