[asterisk-users] Dropped Calls / Maximum Retries Exceeded / No Reply to Our Critical Packet

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Tue Oct 28 14:42:31 CDT 2008

Lincoln King-Cliby wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've looked through the archives and tried several variations in Google, and I haven't found anything on-point... So I'm hoping someone here may be able to help this relative Asterisk neophyte shed some light on an issue:
>
> I have a box running Asterisk 1.4.22 in our lab with several Cisco 7961G phones and an AEX804E card (4 FXO, hardware echo cancellation).
>
> The server and all phones are on the same subnet (10.2.0.x/255.255.255.0) of the local LAN with no NAT, routing, firewall, etc., etc. between the server and the phones.
>
> Periodically I'm seeing calls placed from the 7961s through anything on the PBX that requires digit entry (the Auto Attendant, Voicemail, etc.) 'randomly' drop; extension-to-extension calls extension-to-PSTN, and PSTN-to-extension calls never have any issues whatsoever. Nor have I been able to duplicate the issues hopping around auto attendants on an inbound PSTN call.
>
> When the call drops, the phone still thinks that it is connected, but the audio path is cut off and something similar to the following is dumped to the console
>
> -- <SIP/1103-b71184e0> Playing 'vm-password' (language 'en')
> [Oct 28 14:23:07] WARNING[9423]: chan_sip.c:1958 retrans_pkt: Maximum retries exceeded on transmission 0016c82d-5455002d-2155dfac-8901da83 at 10.2.0.224 for seqno 102 (Critical Response) -- See doc/sip-retransmit.txt.
> [Oct 28 14:23:07] WARNING[9423]: chan_sip.c:1980 retrans_pkt: Hanging up call 0016c82d-5455002d-2155dfac-8901da83 at 10.2.0.224 - no reply to our critical packet (see doc/sip-retransmit.txt).
>
> All of the results Google has turned up, and the doc/sip-retransmit.txt file point to problems with things in the middle of the path between the server and the phone (NAT, firewall, "SIP middle box", proxy) that simply don't exist in the configuration that we're using.
>
> I suspect it's an issue with the way the Cisco phones are dealing with DTMF to Asterisk or Asterisk dealing with the DTMF from Cisco but that's where I go off into unknown territory. (FWIW, until the call drops everything works fine, pressing a button triggers the desired action, and audio quality is fantastic)
>
> I've rolled the firmware on the phones up and down with no noticeable change, and I also upgraded to Asterisk 1.4.22 version of Asterisk (I had been running 1.4.21.2, and there are fewer dropped calls with .22 but it's still way too often to be acceptable)
>
> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, but please be explicit... short of editing the configuration files and "make install" my Asterisk experience is rather limited.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Lincoln

It's hard to diagnose a problem like this without a full SIP trace, but given
the problem you are describing, it looks like Asterisk is sending a SIP INVITE
that is not being replied to with a 200 OK. It wasn't clear in the scenario you
presented why Asterisk would be sending an INVITE out anywhere though, so I'm
not sure where this is originating. Is Asterisk dialing out to another box which
contains the voicemail and auto-attendant services? If so, and if the box which
provides these services is another Asterisk server, be sure that the second
Asterisk server has an Answer in the dialplan for these calls.

By the way, to see a SIP trace inside Asterisk, you can issue the command "sip
set debug" in the CLI. Then all SIP messages will be written anywhere where you
are logging verbose messages.

Mark Michelson