[asterisk-users] hammering imap vmail storage

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Mon Oct 27 11:13:43 CDT 2008

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I've configured asterisk 1.4 to use imap storage for voice-mail and
> while I'm happy with it generally speaking it really seem to hammer the
> IMAP server.   It appear, from the IMAP server logs that it's polling
> the imap server every *second* for mailbox updates for the users'
> voice-mail folders.
>
> Is it really necessary to do this once a second?  Is this tunable
> anywhere?
>
> Thanx,
> b.

The behavior you are seeing is most likely due to SIP's MWI behavior in Asterisk
1.4. The way it works is to poll the mailboxes every so often to see if new
messages are available. This can be controlled a few ways.

1. If you don't want MWI for your SIP phones at all, you can disable it by not
specifying a mailbox= argument for your peers in sip.conf
2. If you want to make MWI checks more infrequent, you can change the checkmwi
option in sip.conf to be something other than the default. checkmwi defaults to
checking the server for new messages every 10 seconds. If you set this to be
something like 60, this should ease the load somewhat.

Mark Michelson