[asterisk-users] jingle/gtalk still very troubling

Philippe Sultan philippe.sultan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 11:14:12 CDT 2008

Hi Julien,

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Julien Claassen <julien at c-lab.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>   There's something strange. I have entered a couple of buddies. On has Jingle
> capability and two have resources (Home and Telepathy), but my own account
> does have no resource, I put myself in the buddies list. Is tat supposed to
> be?

The account Asterisk connects with (in jabber.conf) appears in the
buddy list, with a default resource named 'asterisk', and has Jingle
capabilities. Usually, when you see a buddy without any resource, it
means that this buddy is in your roster, but is not currently
connected.

>   And again about those ports: Accept the 5222 port, do all the other
> necessary ports have to be opened from the outside (or requested from there)
> or are they opened from my end?
>   And if they need to be opened from the outside: whichports do I have to open
> in the firewall (taken from the rtp.conf or is there a range simply given by
> some standard?

Gtalk and Jingle channels use Asterisk's RTP stack. The UDP port is
negociated and can take any value, in the range specified in rtp.conf
for Asterisk, unknown for the remote peer.

Philippe