[asterisk-users] fax / t38 gateway

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Sun Oct 26 11:11:53 CDT 2008

Daniel Hazelbaker <daniel at highdesertchurch.com> writes:

> I can answer both of those with a single point.  We just switched
> (entirely) to Asterisk a few weeks ago.  We looked, very briefly, at
> various ways to get rid of the physical, analog, fax machines.  They all
> ended with the answer "People can't figure out e-mail as it is, they
> aren't going to figure out how to fax via e-mail.".
> What we need is a pure VoIP fax machine.

HP's and Brothers can do T.37. Unfortunately making them do T.37 means
teaching the users a completely different user interface.

All that is needed is a way to tell the fax machines that when a user
types 123 456 7890 on the fax machines and presses start, it should
act as if the machine had switched to the alphabetic keyboard, gone
through a bunch of menus, and typed 1234567890 at fax.example.com.

/Benny