[asterisk-users] fax / t38 gateway

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Fri Oct 24 12:55:42 CDT 2008

On Oct 24, 2008, at 9:49 AM, Wilton Helm wrote:

> I've been following this thread and trying to sort out what is
> wanted, what is available, and why.  Comments to the following would
> be appreciated and might be useful to others.
>
> 1.  Why would anyone originate a FAX via VoIP?  If it has to go
> through a bunch of translation steps at both ends, it would seem
> better to simply scan the document (assuming it isn't in electronic
> form to begin with) and attach it to an E-Mail.
>
> 2.  Why would anyone terminate a FAX call coming through Asterisk in
> a FAX machine?  Isn't there a way to capture it electronically?  If
> so, it seems that putting the electronic documents in a queue where
> people can open them, save them, and if they wish, print them would
> be much more useful (and planet friendly, since a lot aren't worth
> putting on paper).

I can answer both of those with a single point.  We just switched
(entirely) to Asterisk a few weeks ago.  We looked, very briefly, at
various ways to get rid of the physical, analog, fax machines.  They
all ended with the answer "People can't figure out e-mail as it is,
they aren't going to figure out how to fax via e-mail.".

What we need is a pure VoIP fax machine.

Daniel