[asterisk-users] Advice on ISDN and Asterisk in the UK

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 11:54:32 CDT 2008

Phil Knighton wrote:
> Hello all
>
> What I'm looking for is some plain speaking advice on ISDN.
>
> Currently using 4 analog lines connecting via a four port TDM400P FXO
> card.  We need to physically move our installations, and on requesting
> the analog lines be moved - our telco (BT) is suggesting we replace our
> analog lines with ISDN2.  We would have 3 x ISDN2 connections, giving us
> six voice channels.  They've even offered us free installation of the
> lines (as opposed to a £560 charge for moving the analog lines!)

Wow, you are lucky.

I used to have an ISDN-2 line into my home office. BT wrote to me about
2 years ago and said they were discontinuing the service. They converted
my dual channel BRI back into a single POTS.

I built a little Asterisk server, stuck an X100p in it for backup calls
should my broadband go down (on a separate POTS line) and got two
non-geo 0844 IAX trunks for free instead.

Who lost out there then?

Cheers

Alan