[asterisk-users] Advice on ISDN and Asterisk in the UK

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Oct 24 11:45:34 CDT 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Phil Knighton wrote:

> Hello all
>
> What I'm looking for is some plain speaking advice on ISDN.
>
> Currently using 4 analog lines connecting via a four port TDM400P FXO
> card.  We need to physically move our installations, and on requesting
> the analog lines be moved - our telco (BT) is suggesting we replace our
> analog lines with ISDN2.  We would have 3 x ISDN2 connections, giving us
> six voice channels.  They've even offered us free installation of the
> lines (as opposed to a £560 charge for moving the analog lines!)

BT are sounding desperate! (And why go from 4 channels to 6?) Also watch
out what they tie you in for - I suspect they'll offer the free
installation if you sign up for a 5-year contract. One of my clients was
offered that recently...

> What hardware would you recommend in the Asterisk box?  I don't mind
> admitting I'm a newb and a lot of the info I've found is over my head.
> I've been looking at a TE410P - would this achieve what I want which is
> to connect the 3 ISDN2 connections, giving me six voice channels?

Same hardware you currently have, but with an ISDN2 card rather than
TDM400.

I use the mISDN drivers, and for the most-part they seem OK. Last one I
bought was an openVox B200P from Voipon.co.uk. You'd need the B400P for 6
channels (3 ports)

> Assuming the TE410P is what I'm looking for (or an equivalent -
> suggestions?) what are the basic points for what I would need to change
> in my current config?

Compile/install/load the mISDN drivers and then add in the configs. It's a
bit fiddly, but seems to work OK. I did have some compile issues with the
latest mISDN drivers though.

Or port it into VoIP and wave at BT ...

Gordon
--