[asterisk-users] fax / t38 gateway

Brendan Martens brendan.martens at crosscomm.net
Fri Oct 24 08:35:53 CDT 2008

I'll look into those devices mentioned.

I think that I have one last question... I don't intend to have a
hardware fax machine on our end, I really just want it to get to
asterisk then email it from there. I know this can be done with
hylafax/iaxmodem etc, I actually have gotten that to work
intermittently, but supposing I did find an ITSP with t.38 support,
what would the steps be on the asterisk to receive that fax? I presume
it would just be something like:

exten => _XX.,n,Answer()
exten => _XX.,n,Wait(3)
exten => _XX.,n,Set(TIFFFILE=/var/spool/faxes/incoming-fax.tif)
exten => _XX.,n,ReceiveFAX(${TIFFFILE})
exten => _XX.,n,Set(EMAIL=brendan.martens at crosscomm.net)
exten => _XX.,n,System('mewencode -e ${TIFFILE} | mail -s fax ${EMAIL}')
exten => _XX.,n,System('rm ${TIFFILE}')

That is what I was trying before I realized that it wouldn't work due
to ReceiveFAX() expecting t.38, right? But if it were coming in as t.
38 that is all there would be to it?

Thanks once again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Brendan Martens