[asterisk-users] How Secure Is Asterisk

Eric Chamberlain eric at rf.com
Tue Oct 21 16:25:49 CDT 2008

On Oct 20, 2008, at 12:01 PM, Steve Anness wrote:

> I am sure this has been discussed prior, however, I am sitting here
> and being asked this very question by my superiors.  They are loving
> what I have done with our two Asterisk servers here; however, they
> keep asking me if it is secure or not.  Of course, as with anything,
> I suspect that on a secure network they can be reasonably safe.
> However, realistically if I am using the asterisk server to make
> internal calls and discussion very private matters, how possible is
> it for someone to listen to calls?  How good is the encryption if
> any over an IAX trunk?

Steve,

This question gets asked a lot and a majority of the time the phones
in question are in cubicles or other open spaces.

The answer is that it really depends on the someone, the situation,
and how much an organization is willing to spend.  Yes, it's possible
to encrypt voice traffic between SIP phones, but there is no standard
that works across vendors.  In most cases, it is more practical and
economical to follow network security best practices.

What alternative solution would they use to encrypt the voice traffic
between analog or digital phones?

--
Eric Chamberlain