[asterisk-users] OPENR2 in Thailand

Chris Ziomkowski cziom at jsg.co.th
Mon Oct 20 23:26:36 CDT 2008

Hi Peter,

Basically, I had to rewrite the R2 state machine to use pulsed outbound
signalling instead of compelled, and hack in support of the DTMF tone
groups instead of R2 frequencies. It was messy, but possible. The
inbound side was much cleaner, and you may be correct when you say you
could just use China R2 for that. Is this application going to be
limited to inbound, or do you need outbound dialing?

The originating switch may also make a difference. Just be prepared for
that. TOT is switching some of their stuff over to Huawei, which in my
experience causes issues (however, no idea about their R2 support in
general). We were connecting to a Siemens EWSD out of Prakanong, and it
proved pretty reliable. Not much variation at all. This application was
used for a time to do call ins for the 07 show, so we were doing very
heavy signalling for about 1 hour every week. TA had configured a 2:1
ratio for us on MF senders on the incoming side. Average call duration
was only 30 seconds, and 120 lines were packed for 1 hour straight.

I assume you've already asked the Turtlephone Organization of Thailand
about ISDN? Have you asked more than once? Often times they'll just say
"no we don't support it" because they're lazy or don't know, not because
it isn't possible. If you haven't actually had a sit down with an
engineer in their offices, I wouldn't necessarily believe them if the
salesrep tells you they can't do it. A bottle of Johnny Walker as a gift
can often make these discussions go easier.

Chris