[asterisk-users] Asterisk Problem

Antoine Megalla aatef at rocketmail.com
Mon Oct 20 07:36:55 CDT 2008

Hi,

I had this problem once before.
It was related to running asterisk as a non root user.

I think if you run asterisk as root your problems will
go away.
OR
you can change the permissions on the /var/run
directory to 777 and the
problem might be solved too.

Regards,

Antoine Megalla.

> Message: 15
> Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:19:09 +0200
> From: Ahmed Torintino <torintino at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Asterisk Problem
Discussion
> <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>
> i have done that as follow
>
> [root at localhost asterisk]# service asterisk start
> Starting asterisk:
      [  OK  ]
> [root at localhost asterisk]# asterisk
> [root at localhost asterisk]# asterisk
> [root at localhost asterisk]# asterisk -vr
> Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does
/var/run/asterisk.ctl exist?)
> but i think the problem is because of those couple
files

> /var/run/asterisk.ctl    and
/var/run/asterisk.pid

jerdguez at gmail.comTo:
> asterisk-users at lists.digium.comSubject: Re:
[asterisk-users] Asterisk
> Problem
> When installing Asterisk, did you issue the command
"make config" after
> "make samples" ??
>
> If so, try issuing "service asterisk start" on
RedHat or

<torinto1984 at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> After installing a new box and asterisk. i have got
these errors

> [root at localhost ~]# asterisk
>
> Unable to open pid file
'/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid': No such file or
> directory
>
> [root at localhost ~]# asterisk -vr
>
> Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does
/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl
> exist?)
>
> I didn't find a folder called asterisk in the
directory /var/run

> [root at localhost ~]# cd /var/run/
> [root at localhost run]# ls
> acpid.socket  dbus               iptraf
messagebus.pid  ntpd.pid
> sendmail.pid   sudo         utmp
> atd.pid       dhclient-eth0.pid  klogd.pid  mysqld
       ppp
> sm-client.pid  syslogd.pid  winbindd
> console       haldaemon.pid      mdadm
netreport       rpc.statd.pid
> spamassassin   tog-pegasus  xfs.pid
> crond.pid     httpd.pid          mdmpd      nscd
       saslauthd
> sshd.pid       usb          xinetd.pid
> [root at localhost run]#
> [root at localhost run]# asterisk -cvvvvv
> Unable to open pid file
'/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid': No such file or
> directory
> Unable to bind socket to
/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl: No such file or
> directory
>  == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf': Found
>  == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/extconfig.conf': Found
> Asterisk 1.2.28, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2007 Digium,
Inc. and others.
> Created by Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com>
> Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type
'show warranty' for
> details.
> This is free software, with components licensed
under the GNU General
> Public
> License version 2 and other licenses; you are
welcome to redistribute it
> under
> certain conditions. Type 'show license' for details.

>  == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/logger.conf': Found
> Asterisk Event Logger Started
/var/log/asterisk/event_log
>  == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/dnsmgr.conf': Found
> Asterisk Dynamic Loader loading preload modules:
>  == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/modules.conf': Found
>  == Manager registered action Ping
>  == Manager registered action Events
>  == Manager registered action Logoff
>  == Manager registered action Hangup
>  == Manager registered action Status
>  == Manager registered action Setvar
>  == Manager registered action Getvar
>  == Manager registered action Redirect
>  == Manager registered action Originate
>  == Manager registered action Command
>  == Manager registered action ExtensionState
>  == Manager registered action AbsoluteTimeout
>  == Manager registered action MailboxStatus
>  == Manager registered action MailboxCount
>  == Manager registered action ListCommands
>  == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/manager.conf': Found
>  == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/manager_custom.conf':
Found