[asterisk-users] asterisk setup

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 02:06:23 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Mike <mikef1007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am new to asterisk pbx systems.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the wonderful world of asterisk!

> I am trying to figure out what to do, I'll list and folks feel free to
> give feedback and advice.

You don't mention if you have read one of the several books out on
asterisk or whether you are familiar with sources like
http://voip-info.org. If you haven't already, look into the O'Reilly
book:

 http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510480/

> ------------------
> 1. setup and install asterisk (1.4.x)  --> DONE
>   -currently configuring sip.conf and extenstion.conf files.
>   -using soft-phone till I find a cheap voip phone(recommendations ??)

Define cheap. I believe for home use there are entry-level phones by
known manufacturers for well under $200, but that's 10 times what a
cheap cordless costs, right? You can get a Grandstream for under $100,
but people will already be groaning at the mention of these. You can
also purchase FXS/FXO cards to connect regular phones to your asterisk
box, among these the Digium TDM400 can accept four modules. Pricey
perhaps, but this avoids buying phones if you already have some. Ypour
budget will depend on how serious your needs are. If you just want an
answering machine to experiment with, cheap iup phones maybe from Ebay
will do it for you. (Ebay is the Devil, I do not recommend it
personally)

> 2. trying to get a DID number
>   -alot of search results, not sure which are reliable, most are
> charging per month usage and some are charging setup charges
>   -also looking for DID provider which will interface with asterisk
> pbx (sip and iax protocols, is that ok? )
>   -Am I missing anything else here?
>   -Are there any providers folks would recommend? Looking for
> affordable and reliable)

There are many SIP providers, but among those that are part of or
support the asterisk community, Junction Networks, Teliax, VoicePulse
Connect loom large. I have had accounts with all of those and find
them to be reasonable in price and service. This stuff is very
subjective, though. Maybe look through the mialing list for references
to those names and other providers.