[asterisk-users] asterisk setup

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Oct 20 02:02:51 CDT 2008

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Mike wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Am new to asterisk pbx systems.
>
> I am trying to figure out what to do, I'll list and folks feel free to
> give feedback and advice.
>
> MAIN purpose for usage:
>         1.exposure to setup an asterisk box
>         2.get home phone service via VOIP/internet connection.
>
> tasks so far
> ------------------
> 1. setup and install asterisk (1.4.x)  --> DONE

Heh... You'll never be done!

Read the starfish book cover to cover (free online/PDF, or buy a paper
copy).

Read the Voip-wiki.

>   -currently configuring sip.conf and extenstion.conf files.
>   -using soft-phone till I find a cheap voip phone(recommendations ??)

If you want a cheap VoIP phone look for a Grandstream - BT200 is cheap and
functional. GXP1200 will give you something with a small display (BT200 is
numeric only) GXP2000 has a bigger display and more buttons. However holy
wars have been fought over Grandstream - some people like them, some hate
them. You get what you pay for and I've deployed 100's of the damn things.

> 2. trying to get a DID number
>   -alot of search results, not sure which are reliable, most are
> charging per month usage and some are charging setup charges
>   -also looking for DID provider which will interface with asterisk
> pbx (sip and iax protocols, is that ok? )
>   -Am I missing anything else here?
>   -Are there any providers folks would recommend? Looking for
> affordable and reliable)

What country are you in? This is a truly global marketplace and mailing
list. We have people from the UK, Ireland, Oztrailia, New Zealand,
Bolivia, Russia, China, India, Argentina, etc. All over the world, really.
Saying what country you need the DID/DDI in will narrow it down somewhat.

Well done so-far and Good luck!

Gordon