[asterisk-users] asterisk setup

Mike mikef1007 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 01:42:01 CDT 2008

Hi folks,

Am new to asterisk pbx systems.

I am trying to figure out what to do, I'll list and folks feel free to
give feedback and advice.

MAIN purpose for usage:
         1.exposure to setup an asterisk box
         2.get home phone service via VOIP/internet connection.

tasks so far
------------------
1. setup and install asterisk (1.4.x)  --> DONE
   -currently configuring sip.conf and extenstion.conf files.
   -using soft-phone till I find a cheap voip phone(recommendations ??)

2. trying to get a DID number
   -alot of search results, not sure which are reliable, most are
charging per month usage and some are charging setup charges
   -also looking for DID provider which will interface with asterisk
pbx (sip and iax protocols, is that ok? )
   -Am I missing anything else here?
   -Are there any providers folks would recommend? Looking for
affordable and reliable)

thanks in advance,
Mike