[asterisk-users] SER + Asterisk

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sat Oct 18 16:35:37 CDT 2008

Steve Totaro wrote:

> If someone wrote a nice webmin module with all the configuration options
> as check boxes and fill in the blanks, that would be very NICE!

The problem with simply doing a GUI frontend to *SER is that it's very
polymorphic far too extensible;  there are far too many potential
applications, and those applications are far too customised and
situation-specific.  That's why the routing script takes the character
that it does, because it wishes to have as few cookie-cutter
characteristics as possible.

That having been said, there are plenty of common use cases of the
product which probably deserve GUI implementation.  But it needs to be
understood that they are just common use cases, nothing more, and
represent an infinitesimal fraction of conceivable -- and routine --
applications.  The product is far too low-level to be able to say what
it does even in the loose ways in which we routinely attribute certain
functional goals or traits to Asterisk.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov