[asterisk-users] SER + Asterisk

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sat Oct 18 16:07:37 CDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com>wrote:

> Joseph wrote:

> connection, not outgoing.
> >> Sure - it's incoming from the point of view the proxy, if you do:
> >>
> >>   Asterisk ---> proxy w/NAT traversal fixups ---> provider
> >>
> >> :-)
> >>
> >> Any links I can think of that explain how to use nathelper rely on a
> >> pre-existing knowledge of how to deal with OpenSER, which is a rather
> >> esoteric and low-level topic compared to Asterisk.
> >
> > I'm trying to find a good manual for SER with decent examples for
> beginners but don't have much luck.
> > I think these package  OpenSER OpenSIPS SER are not so common as it is
> hard to understand them.
> >
> > The manual on their web-page is just dry plain language without examples
> so it makes it harder to understand.
> >

> There is not really a lot of good conceptual introduction to OpenSER,
> although Flavio Goncalves' book ("Building Scalable Telephony
> Applications With OpenSER") may be somewhat of aid.  The documentation
> primarily serves those that already know what they are doing, kind of
> like programmers that just need an API reference.
>
> But basically, it is admittedly a lot of work to figure out an extremely
> polymorphic and idiosyncratic environment just to solve a relatively
> simple problem.
>
> I recommend contracting someone to take care of it for you, or stealing
> a recipe from somewhere.
>
> --
> Alex Balashov
> Evariste Systems
> Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/
> Tel    : (+1) (678) 954-0670
> Direct : (+1) (678) 954-0671
> Mobile : (+1) (706) 338-8599

Jeremy McNamara wrote some helpful tidbits as well.

http://www.jeremy-mcnamara.com/2007/03/28/how-to-configure-openser-sip-registar-sip-proxy-and-far-end-nat-traversal-for-media/

This one is a "Configuration Wizard" I haven't tried it out yet but
certainly will at some point
http://www.jeremy-mcnamara.com/2007/02/22/seropenser-configuration-wizard/

If someone wrote a nice webmin module with all the configuration options as
check boxes and fill in the blanks, that would be very NICE!

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro