[asterisk-users] SER + Asterisk

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sat Oct 18 15:48:32 CDT 2008

Joseph wrote:
> On 10/18/08 16:10, Alex Balashov wrote:
>> Joseph wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the info Alex,
>>> Do you have a good links that would help accomplish it?
>>> I was under impression that "nathelper" is only for incoming connection, not outgoing.
>> Sure - it's incoming from the point of view the proxy, if you do:
>>
>>   Asterisk ---> proxy w/NAT traversal fixups ---> provider
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Any links I can think of that explain how to use nathelper rely on a
>> pre-existing knowledge of how to deal with OpenSER, which is a rather
>> esoteric and low-level topic compared to Asterisk.
>
> I'm trying to find a good manual for SER with decent examples for beginners but don't have much luck.
> I think these package  OpenSER OpenSIPS SER are not so common as it is hard to understand them.
>
> The manual on their web-page is just dry plain language without examples so it makes it harder to understand.

There is not really a lot of good conceptual introduction to OpenSER,
although Flavio Goncalves' book ("Building Scalable Telephony
Applications With OpenSER") may be somewhat of aid.  The documentation
primarily serves those that already know what they are doing, kind of
like programmers that just need an API reference.

But basically, it is admittedly a lot of work to figure out an extremely
polymorphic and idiosyncratic environment just to solve a relatively
simple problem.

I recommend contracting someone to take care of it for you, or stealing
a recipe from somewhere.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems