[asterisk-users] ISDN

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Oct 14 06:54:52 CDT 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Steve Totaro wrote:

> I have done this.  Why BRIs exist in the US is beyond me.  If you can,
> don't go with BRI.

Why didn't BRI catch-on in the US? It's been in-use in the UK and Europe
for a long time (especially Germany AIUI). I have several sites with
ISDN2e (BRI) in the UK. In some locations it was cheaper to run in more
ISDN2e lines than get BT to provide an ISDN30e (BT 'forcing' the customer
to pay for the fibre, but they'd happily run ISDN2e over copper). One site
has 8 ISDN2e ports (16 channels), although I think only 6 are "lit" right
now.

I use mISDN FWIW.

Gordon