[asterisk-users] ISDN

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Mon Oct 13 22:39:30 CDT 2008

>With ISDN, the conversion is done in your phone
Exactly.  Or in the case of Asterisk, it is a 4 wire digital right into the switch--no degradation.  Even converting back and forth between analog and digital multiple times compromises quality.  Try doing a dial-up modem across such a path.  The best you will get is 20 - 30 K.

>IF you can get a PRI-line for the same price.
Not to mention that the interfaces for PRI are about five times as expensive.  I'm not sure why.  It doesn't seem like it ought to take a lot of electronics to break down the bit stream.