[asterisk-users] ISDN

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Mon Oct 13 16:53:33 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 17:37 -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
> I have done this.  Why BRIs exist in the US is beyond me.
Much of the idea's behind ISDN are hopelesly outdated, except for one:
With POTS, the analogue/Digital conversion is done some miles away, in
the your local number exchange, and the distance between your phone and
the exchange dictate the quality you can get.

With ISDN, the conversion is done in your phone, no further deteriation.
Some telco's offer a single, high bandwith channel, others dropped the
second B-channel (thus offering at reduced price 1B+D)

You wrote: "If you can, don't go with BRI."
I would agree, IF you can get a PRI-line for the same price.

Some time ago, i heard that BT offered PRI-lines with a reduced number
of B-channels. That would be a better alternative for BRI.

hw