[asterisk-users] ISDN

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Mon Oct 13 15:57:51 CDT 2008

I had considered something like this as well, but was convinced to go
another direction.

I wrote something up about it at the time.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30444/84/

Michael

--Original Message Text---
From: Wilton Helm
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:44:26 -0600

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up Asterisk in a SOHO environment using
ISDN for trunking.  More specifically a BRI 2B+D circuit where one SPID
is used for the business and the other is used for personal.  The
circuit already exists, but is presently being interfaced to POTS
phones via a TA.

This configuration is not very common in the US, but we are fortunate
that our LEC offers it price competitively with equivalent POTS
services and it makes more sense, both in terms of voice quality (4
wire digital to the PABX) and flexibility.

Ideally it would allow any combination of two calls, identified by
SPID.

If anyone has done anything similar, or has any experience with BRI
ISDN, I would appreciate input and direction.

If anyone knows where documentation exists on configuring ISDN, that
information would also be greatly appreciated.  Asterisk has a bit of a
learning curve, and ISDN BRI isn't the most widely used or covered
aspect of it.  BTW, I have a strong telecom background, so the theory
part of it will not be a problem, only the necessary documentation to
apply it to Asterisk.

Thanks,
Wilton Helm
Embedded System Resources