[asterisk-users] ISDN

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Mon Oct 13 15:44:26 CDT 2008

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up Asterisk in a SOHO environment using ISDN for trunking.  More specifically a BRI 2B+D circuit where one SPID is used for the business and the other is used for personal.  The circuit already exists, but is presently being interfaced to POTS phones via a TA.

This configuration is not very common in the US, but we are fortunate that our LEC offers it price competitively with equivalent POTS services and it makes more sense, both in terms of voice quality (4 wire digital to the PABX) and flexibility.

Ideally it would allow any combination of two calls, identified by SPID.

If anyone has done anything similar, or has any experience with BRI ISDN, I would appreciate input and direction.

If anyone knows where documentation exists on configuring ISDN, that information would also be greatly appreciated.  Asterisk has a bit of a learning curve, and ISDN BRI isn't the most widely used or covered aspect of it.  BTW, I have a strong telecom background, so the theory part of it will not be a problem, only the necessary documentation to apply it to Asterisk.

Thanks,
Wilton Helm
Embedded System Resources