[asterisk-users] Text messaging and Asterisk

Matt Gibson mattgibson.ca at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 15:08:05 CDT 2008

> Are you sending SMS to known users or to any mobile phone user?
>
> If you are sending to a fixed user base, track down the email to SMS
> gateways for their carriers.  Then sending an SMS is no different than
> sending an e-mail.

If it's for something really important this might not be the best route -
here in Canada, with Fido Wireless, the "email to sms gateway" can be
instant, all the way up to 36 hours before you receive them - for something
like alerts this is unacceptable. I've called and the response was pretty
much "too bad so sad" - you may be better off with connecting a mobile to
the box via Bluetooth or usb, and sending through said mobile..