[asterisk-users] Question about echo cancelation

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Sat Oct 11 06:51:22 CDT 2008

2008/10/10 Eric ManxPower Wieling <eric at fnords.org>

> All calls with a 2-wire analog piece have echo.  You cannot perceive the
> echo because it happens so fast on non-VoIP connections.  On VoIP calls
> you have significant extra latency while causes you you to perceive the
> echo.

Do you mean "generated locally" or "generated distantly" ?

I understand that VoIP extra latency sometrimes renders perceivable what was
unperceivable before.
What suprises me is to hear that media getways "filter one-way only" : as
2-wires analog devices produce echo, and every phone has 2-wires analog
audio, in every call you've got at least 2 sources of echo : one in each
endpoint.

>  Echo must be removed before the call is converted to VoIP -- in
> your case the Media Gateway is the device that must remove echo.

So, if Alice is hearing its own voice,
1. where does it most probably come from ?
2. where should it be removed ?

For both, I would reply :
1. it most probably comes from Bob's phone (as other devices in-between are
digital so voice can't leak from there),
2. Alice voice echo should canceled at every location: Bob's PBX, PSTN
network (ISDN in the case I had in mind) and Alice's Media gateway

Do you agree ?