[asterisk-users] Question about echo cancelation

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Fri Oct 10 12:27:08 CDT 2008

All calls with a 2-wire analog piece have echo.  You cannot perceive the
echo because it happens so fast on non-VoIP connections.  On VoIP calls
you have significant extra latency while causes you you to perceive the
echo.  Echo must be removed before the call is converted to VoIP -- in
your case the Media Gateway is the device that must remove echo.

Olivier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the following setup :
> Alice ---- IPPhone ------<LAN>----- Media gateway ----<PSTN> ------- Phone
> ---- Bob
>
> For certain calls, users complains about echo : they can ear their own voice
> in their handset, though media gateway echo cancel is turned on.
>
> I'm wondering how this echo cancelation engine is supposed to work.
> My understanding of echo is that most probably, when users complains about
> earing their own voice, that means that distant phone or nearby equipment is
> "leaking" : Bob's phone is sending Alice's voice signal back to Alice.
>
> So, to properly cancel, I would say Media gateway should substract from
> incoming signal the signal that left the media gateway few ms before.
>
> Discussing here and there, some say that Media Gateway never work this way :
> it would only filters out locally generated echo.
> Do you agree with that ?
> If positive, then what can you do, if Bob's phone generate much echo ?
>
> Regards

Consulting for Asterisk, Polycom, Sangoma, Digium, Cisco, LAN, WAN, QoS,
T-1, PRI, Frame Relay, Linux, and network design.  Based near
Birmingham, AL.  Now accepting clients worldwide.
http://www.fnords.org/skillslist.html