[asterisk-users] DAHDI aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh :((((

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Fri Oct 10 10:04:43 CDT 2008

Steve Totaro wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 10:32 PM, sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com
> <mailto:seandarcy2 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Remco Barendse wrote:
>      > The information (or lack of it) on upgrading from zaptel to that
>      > @&*^QW%&^%!!!  dahdi is very frustrating.
>      >
>      > I cannot find anything on how to uninstall zaptel, i found an
>     earlier post
>      > to this list which suggested make uninstall and make remove in
>     the zaptel
>      > directory which just generates errors and does nothing (on zaptel
>     12.1).
>      >
>      > Then i install dahdi-linux and dahdi-tools and i want to start
>     configuring
>      > it, so i am trying dahdi_genconf like the docs suggested which
>     generates
>      > this really helpful error message :
>      > /usr/sbin/dahdi_genconf: Cannot read
>     '/etc/dahdi/genconf_parameters': No
>      > such file or directory
>      >
>      > Also the config files and everything are much more complicated
>      > for dahdi than they were for zaptel
>      >
>      > There was some nice documentation and examples on how to get
>     started with
>      > configuring certain devices with zaptel on the digium page, for
>     my TDM11B
>      > they only mention zaptel.....
>      >
>      > Did anyone even try this?
>      >

>     It'll work. But it's not easy. I didn't find dahdi_genconf helpful.
>
>     Post your /etc/dahdi/system.conf ( the analogue of zaptel.conf ) and
>     /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf ( analogue of zapata.conf ).
>
>     With some help, you'll fix this.
>
>     sean
>

> Total hindsight and thinking as a user, but the initial explanation of
> DAHDI came out because someone put something out there premature and
> someone noticed that Zaptel was being replaced by DAHDI.
>
> The party line explanation from Digium was that someone owned the rights
> to the zaptel name.  A calling card dealer who had been very nice to
> allow Digium to continue using the Zaptel name but was at his end, so
> hence the name change.

This *is* the correct reason.

> Not sure I totally buy that but whatever, my thought was it was to
> remove any rights or credits from the Zapata Telephony Project and Jim
> Dixon.  Digium could control DAHDI exactly the way it controls Asterisk,

Jim's name is still on the source code, and still intentionally is
there.  Please don't jump to any rash conclusions.  You can certainly
still use Zaptel as Zaptel if you'd like.  We were forced to change it
due to the name related issues that have been mentioned.  We're just
grateful that the other party that brought the issue up has been so
patient since it has taken so long.

It has been a bit of a rocky road with some of the new features that
were put it into it, but, any time you rewrite code or do something new,
there's always going to be a period of shaking out of unforeseen bugs.
Sorry if you have had any trouble.  The name change and related efforts
have been just as hard on us as developers as it has been on people that
use it.

--
Matthew Fredrickson
Software/Hardware Engineer