[asterisk-users] DAHDI aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh :((((

David A. Bandel david.bandel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 06:15:04 CDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 3:22 AM, Remco Barendse <asterisk at barendse.to> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, Steve Totaro wrote:
>
>> I don't have answers just a question.
>>
>> DAHDI is alpha or beta code, what motivates you to upgrade so badly that you
>> are frustrating yourself so much?
>
> Perhaps the fact that zaptel is not listed anymore on the Digium website?
> :)

Well it is listed like its production code.  Not sure it is.

I have a Digium Wildcard TE110P.  I recently upgraded from 1.4.21.2
and zaptel to 1.4.22 and dahdi.

The upgrade seemed to go well, downed asterisk, used the /etc/init.d
script to down zaptel, made change to asterisk.conf about still using
ZAP names (will take a while even with sed as it is any combination of
zap/ZAP/Zap throughout many exten.*.conf files), removed the old
kernel module, ran dahdi script (which installed new kernel module),
brought up asterisk.

All worked (note that I didn't reboot the system - it has been up for
about 60 days continuous).

Two days ago work on the power grid in the building demanded a
shutdown of the system.

Coming up, asterisk ran, but never could get dahdi working.
Everything from kernel panics, to system lockups, etc.  The main
module loaded, but when the echocanceller loaded ...

After about 2 hours fighting and resetting the server any number of
times, I ripped out dahdi and asterisk-1.4.22, reinstalled the old
zaptel and asterisk-1.4.21.2 and all is well.

Dahdi is definitely _not_ ready for prime time.

I've seen kernel panics on other Digium hardware as well and was
basically told it was my hardware.  Funny I don't get those kernel
panics using zaptel.

And yes, you just have to figure out that you need to copy
genconf_parameters from the dahdi/xpp directory to /etc/dahdi -- it's
not automagic.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
            - Nemesis Air Racing Team motto