[asterisk-users] DAHDI aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh :((((

Sean Bright sean.bright at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 21:29:09 CDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Remco Barendse <asterisk at barendse.to> wrote:
> The information (or lack of it) on upgrading from zaptel to that
> @&*^QW%&^%!!!  dahdi is very frustrating.
>
> I cannot find anything on how to uninstall zaptel, i found an earlier post
> to this list which suggested make uninstall and make remove in the zaptel
> directory which just generates errors and does nothing (on zaptel 12.1).

What types of errors do you encounter running 'make uninstall'?
You'll need to make sure both asterisk and zaptel are shutdown before
running make install:

 # service asterisk stop
 # service zaptel stop

> Then i install dahdi-linux and dahdi-tools and i want to start configuring
> it, so i am trying dahdi_genconf like the docs suggested which generates
> this really helpful error message :
> /usr/sbin/dahdi_genconf: Cannot read '/etc/dahdi/genconf_parameters': No
> such file or directory

Unfortunately there was a bug in the initial 2.0.0 release.  This has
since been resolved in Subversion (see more details here
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=13615).

If you'd like, you can grab the latest from Subversion of both the
DAHDI Linux an DAHDI Tools packages, using the following commands:

 $ svn checkout http://svn.digium.com/svn/dahdi/linux/trunk dahdi-linux
 $ svn checkout http://svn.digium.com/svn/dahdi/tools/trunk dahdi-tools

> Also the config files and everything are much more complicated
> for dahdi than they were for zaptel

As far as I am aware, the format of the configuration files
(/etc/dahdi/system.conf and /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf) are
basically the same as their predecessors, /etc/zaptel.conf and
/etc/asterisk/zapata.conf.  Feel free to post here with any questions
and we'll try to help out.

Sean