[asterisk-users] DAHDI aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh :((((

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Oct 9 21:57:30 CDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 10:32 PM, sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Remco Barendse wrote:
> > The information (or lack of it) on upgrading from zaptel to that
> > @&*^QW%&^%!!!  dahdi is very frustrating.
> >
> > I cannot find anything on how to uninstall zaptel, i found an earlier
> post
> > to this list which suggested make uninstall and make remove in the zaptel
> > directory which just generates errors and does nothing (on zaptel 12.1).
> >
> > Then i install dahdi-linux and dahdi-tools and i want to start
> configuring
> > it, so i am trying dahdi_genconf like the docs suggested which generates
> > this really helpful error message :
> > /usr/sbin/dahdi_genconf: Cannot read '/etc/dahdi/genconf_parameters': No
> > such file or directory
> >
> > Also the config files and everything are much more complicated
> > for dahdi than they were for zaptel
> >
> > There was some nice documentation and examples on how to get started with
> > configuring certain devices with zaptel on the digium page, for my TDM11B
> > they only mention zaptel.....
> >
> > Did anyone even try this?
> >

> It'll work. But it's not easy. I didn't find dahdi_genconf helpful.
>
> Post your /etc/dahdi/system.conf ( the analogue of zaptel.conf ) and
> /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf ( analogue of zapata.conf ).
>
> With some help, you'll fix this.
>
> sean

Total hindsight and thinking as a user, but the initial explanation of DAHDI
came out because someone put something out there premature and someone
noticed that Zaptel was being replaced by DAHDI.

The party line explanation from Digium was that someone owned the rights to
the zaptel name.  A calling card dealer who had been very nice to allow
Digium to continue using the Zaptel name but was at his end, so hence the
name change.

Not sure I totally buy that but whatever, my thought was it was to remove
any rights or credits from the Zapata Telephony Project and Jim Dixon.
Digium could control DAHDI exactly the way it controls Asterisk, such as the
adwords debacle, and the following thread entitled "Open Letter to Digium"
to the biz list.

Now I have not touched any of that code, but to me, it would have been much
simpler to change names, then change functionality later.  Make DAHDI a drop
in replacement for Zaptel, in fact, if memory serves me correctly that is
what someone at Digium explained, it was merely a find and replace
operation.

Again, I have not touched the code but from reading a few posts, it sounds
like significant changes have been made and significant changes need to be
made to get DAHDI working and it is far from trivial.

Zaptel was not trivial to a new user, the genconfs helped but I never much
bothered with them since I was beyond that when they were introduced.  I
already had custom zap files for pretty much any setup with a little
modification.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro