[asterisk-users] PoE switch recommendations?

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Wed Oct 8 13:35:20 CDT 2008

Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Hey, all.  We're rolling out VoIP, and I'm wondering about PoE
> recommendations, as we're going to have to replace our current network
> equipment.  My first inclination would be to just plunk down the cash and
> do a Cisco system, but I'm relatively certain that would get shot down by
> finance.  Any recommendations for a couple-hundred-port solution with
> VLANs, PoE, and QoS?  Don't care much if it's in a single chassis or not,
> so long as it has Gbit uplinks.

We tried a Linksys SRW208P about 2 years ago but couldn't use it due to
the noise from the fans (think "jet engines")
We settled on the Netgear 16/8 port (8 PoE + 8 non-PoE) switches for the
call centre "pods", each supporting 5 phones. None have caused problems
to date.

In the server room, we have Dell PowerConnect 3548P switches which are
fully managed driving a mix of phones, access points cameras. They are
excellent value, Cisco are way overpriced.

regards,

Drew

--
Drew Gibson