[asterisk-users] How is automatic redial/callback when available implemented ?

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Wed Oct 8 05:24:03 CDT 2008

Hi,

A theorical question :

For some SIP hardphones (or mobile handsets), when receiving a busy
response, it is possible to ask for automatic redial and your phone will
later try to call your contact.
As I'm wondering how I could provide a way to cancel those automatic
redials, I'm trying to understand how it works.

My question is :
1- do SIP hardphones usually wait for some input from Asterisk (when
AutoRedial is asked, a SUBSCRIBE is sent to be notified of status changes)
2- do they redial on their own, after a waiting period,
3- both ?

My testing would show 3 (but I'm far from certain) as :
- I saw SUBSCRIBE messages flowing
- the first redialed even when then the other end was kept in a busy state

Regards