[asterisk-users] Question on screening calls / Question about the Dial g option

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Oct 7 20:15:42 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Mike <list at virtutel.ca> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> I have a simple desire to be able to screen people before being onnected to
> them. I`ve seen plenty of examples on the web and I`ve figured it out.
> There is only one case in where it doesn't act as I want it to: if I hang up
> the phone, I don`t want the caller to be disconnected but (for the sake of
> making this example simpler) I want him to hear "the person you are trying
> to reach is unavailable".
>

> Problem is, in my screen macro (the one called using the M() option in the
> dial command), I can set MACRO_RESULT but it`s all lost when I hang up. If I
> use the g() option in dial, the MACRO_RESULT variable is  lost.  Actually,
> as far as I can tell (which is also what I understand about channel
> variables) as soon as the I hang up the dial, more commands will be executed
> but all variables will be lost.
>

> So, I guess my question is: how do I set a variable that ISN`T lost when
> the call initiated using the Dial g option is hung up ?
>

> Regards,**
>
> * *
>
> *Mike*

What variables do you need to play "the person you are trying to reach is
unavailable"?

Just use the 'h' extension to play the file.

BTW, channel variables ARE available to the h extension to a degree, at
least to the first priority of the h exten, they seem to get lost after the
first priority even if you use setvar or set with single or double
underscores.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro