[asterisk-users] Question on screening calls / Question about the Dial g option

Mike list at virtutel.ca
Tue Oct 7 15:36:00 CDT 2008

Hi,

I have a simple desire to be able to screen people before being onnected to
them. I`ve seen plenty of examples on the web and I`ve figured it out.
There is only one case in where it doesn’t act as I want it to: if I hang up
the phone, I don`t want the caller to be disconnected but (for the sake of
making this example simpler) I want him to hear "the person you are trying
to reach is unavailable".

Problem is, in my screen macro (the one called using the M() option in the
dial command), I can set MACRO_RESULT but it`s all lost when I hang up. If I
use the g() option in dial, the MACRO_RESULT variable is  lost.  Actually,
as far as I can tell (which is also what I understand about channel
variables) as soon as the I hang up the dial, more commands will be executed
but all variables will be lost.

So, I guess my question is: how do I set a variable that ISN`T lost when the
call initiated using the Dial g option is hung up ?

Regards,

Mike