[asterisk-users] ldap usage in 1.6.0

Josiah Bryan jbryan at productiveconcepts.com
Tue Oct 7 07:04:23 CDT 2008

Brendan Martens wrote:

> Having thought some more about my issue I think I can perhaps ask my
> question more succinctly: is it possible to get dynamic (or
> "realtime") data from ldap within the various .conf files?
>
> If there is not a convenient function for getting this in the .conf
> files, what if I somehow specified a global variable within the
> res_ldap.conf and referenced that value inside the other .conf files?
> Is this possible? Sorry if these are very basic questions, I just
> haven't been able to find answers to them. : (

Here, I've written a perl script that rewrites the actual sip.conf
itself (as well as generates a custom myexten.conf file, which is
included in the main extensions.conf file.)

The perl script can read from whatever datasource you setup - right now,
I read from a MySQL database of users, but I know perl can read from an
LDAP directory as well.

This way, perl sits between Asterisk and the database/directory and does
the mapping/translation required, giving more complete control over the
sync process.

Of course, I wrote this script in the pre-1.2 days of Asterisk, but its
still running fine on 1.4.* that I've got in production right now.

Cheers!
-josiah

--
Josiah Bryan