[asterisk-users] ldap usage in 1.6.0

Brendan Martens brendan.martens at crosscomm.net
Mon Oct 6 17:58:28 CDT 2008

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm....

> 1. I would provide Asterisk its own LDAP directory and synchronize
> it with entreprise directory as I think it should be simpler to
> synchronize 2 LDAP directories than coordinate Asterisk and Active
> Directory evolutions.

This may work, but my end goal is really to simplify, not complicate.
If I can't get the information I need for sip users etc from ldap then
I'll just have to skip it... I need to not be the only person that can
manage whatever setup I end up with. : (

> 2. IMHO, many people are confusing SIP secrets (from sip.conf) which
> somehow authenticate hardware with user passwords which authenticate
> persons. I wouldn't try to make those 2 values equal.

Hmm, once again with the integration and the simplifying, one of the
biggest reasons I want access to ldap is to be able to authenticate
there, I really don't want to introduce another place to manage
authentication. Most of my users will be using sip phones and I don't
want to give them another user/password combo to remember. : (

> 3. Asterisk's LDAP directory should be the reference for anything
> related to telephony. Changes could be automatically propagated from
> Asterisk to corporate directory.
>
> 4. Corporate directory should be the reference for user management.
> Changes should be manually propagated from corporate directory to
> Asterisk as I don't believe it could be easy to allocate nor free
> telephony resources whenever a user is created or deleted in
> corporate directory.

Not quite sure I follow here... If a user was deleted from my ldap
directory, the corresponding sip phone should fail registration, right?

Having thought some more about my issue I think I can perhaps ask my
question more succinctly: is it possible to get dynamic (or
"realtime") data from ldap within the various .conf files?

If there is not a convenient function for getting this in the .conf
files, what if I somehow specified a global variable within the
res_ldap.conf and referenced that value inside the other .conf files?
Is this possible? Sorry if these are very basic questions, I just
haven't been able to find answers to them. : (

Brendan