[asterisk-users] PoE switch recommendations?

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Mon Oct 6 19:44:43 CDT 2008

On Oct 6, 2008, at 4:31 PM, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:

> As for the larger switches I've used Linksys SRW224P. I have a few
> running for a few years without issues. They have GB uplink but the
> individual ports are 100M.

I recently purchased a few SRW208P switches.  They work fine.  If you
run Windows.  Granted a lot of people run windows instead of Mac or
Linux, but be aware (to those looking) that the SRW line of switches
REQUIRE Internet Explorer on Windows.  The support site says it is
recommended, but even the login page does not work properly on
anything but IE on Windows.  For me, as a Mac user, it is enough to
not buy any more of those ever again.

On the other side, We have a dozen switches in the SGE2000, SGE2000P
and SGE2010P series that all work perfectly and with any browser I
have tried.  Some may wonder why I would buy a 24/48-port fully
gigabit switch.  It is because I don't want to have to think, or even
keep track, of which port on the wall is PoE and which is Gigabit.  I
just want to plug it in and work.  I want to be able to tell my staff
"Just plug your phone in and it will work, don't worry about trying to
find a power adapter".  The extra money is worth not trying to keep
track of which is which.  The SGE2000 switches we bought before the
SGE2000P came down in price (it used to be like 4 times the non-PoE
version).  Now, at a $220 difference ($880 verses $660) there is no
question.

Beyond that, they work great.  VLAN setup and use is simple.  Link
Aggregation works perfectly.  STP works like a charm (no more running
around trying to figure out what idiot patched their wall jack into
another wall jack).  The ability to transfer the switches
configuration to a TFTP server (and HTTP in the 2010 version, 2000 is
using old firmware) makes it easy to backup the configuration and
restore it to a new switch in the event of complete failure.

Daniel