[asterisk-users] Help with remote users

Steve Anness steve.anness at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 13:53:36 CDT 2008

I know I have asked about this before, but I thought that I would ask again
with some more detail and maybe someone will have an idea.  This is my first
time to be setting up an asterisk server and I have a server running.  I
sent Linksys PAP2T¹s to several remote users.  Only one out of the four
users actually work like they should.  One of the other users I am assuming
is behind a firewall on his wireless router and needs to open up the proper
ports.  However, I have two users in New York on a DSL connection and I
can¹t understand why things are happening like they are.

Here Is the situation.  Both users can plug in their ATAs and I can watch
the server output, they register and then they can make calls and I can call
them. Some time later (usually within minutes) the ATAs show to be
³unreachable² and I can no longer call; however, they can still make calls.

I am at a loss as to why this is happening.  They are hooking up right into
a DSL modem, I was thinking maybe it is because they are using DSL but I
don¹t understand why that makes a big difference because I have seen people
using vonage phones with the same PAP2T¹s on worse DSL connections than we
have in New York.

I am new to asterisk, so any thoughts would be helpful.  I will be glad to
provide any more information that might be useful.

I thank you for your time.

Steve Anness