[asterisk-users] [Fwd: asterisk-users Digest, Vol 51, Issue 2]

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Wed Oct 1 10:28:33 CDT 2008

 >From: "Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale at activenetwerx.com>

>>Does anyone have any perspective on how well Asterisk performs and
>>scales inside a Xen hypervisor environment?

>I tried on many different pieces of hardware with various recent Xen
>versions and it always had some level of unpredictability and was not
>as reliable as running on bare hardware. I wouldn't do it for production
>but it was fine for testing (sort of :>).

All other things being equal, certainly the bare HW will win out.  I'd
like to also note that Xen provides a mechanism to dedicate a CPU core
to a virtual machine in a system appropriately equipped.  Might be
useful.

As to whether all critical sources of contention can be controlled
adequately to achieve an equivalent or sufficiently robust environment
for Asterisk -- I can't say authoritatively.  It's reasonable to think
it might be possible.