[asterisk-users] Asterisk in VM.

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Wed Oct 1 10:19:40 CDT 2008

My experience is very limited, but you asked for any perspective, so...

I put an Asterisk with freePBX on a linode server (linode.com), just to
play with it a few months ago.  I can say that it worked to the point of
being able to dial out with my Polycom phone on a FiOS connection,
through the * box, and a SIP termination service like Vitelity, and to
receive calls in the other direction.  No problems with that, and kinda
cool to be able to throw a virtual PBX out there with so little
expense.  I did not stress test it, nor did I examine resource usage to
gain perspective on scalability.  More of a proof of concept.

One issue that comes up with regard to this is about timing sources for
MOH, etc.  Related to this and of general use to know, I believe one can
associate PCI cards with particular VMs, but it's been a few months
since I configured a Xen box of my own, so the details have already fled
from my feeble brain...

But I hope that's helpful.