[asterisk-users] GSM / 3g channel bank

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Wed Oct 1 09:10:25 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 12:53:41PM +0100, Julian Lyndon-Smith wrote:

> More than 60% of our outbound calls are now to mobiles, so the time has
> come to whack in a gsm channel bank.
> Does anyone have any preference of bank ? Do you use a PRI or VOIP
> connection from the bank to asterisk ? Real-world experiences are sooooo
> much better than marketing blurb ;)
> We currently have  a TE412P with a free socket, so we have a choice
> either way. I am looking for up to 30 sims to be connected, and we are
> based in the UK.
> Any advice is gratefully received.

Are you providing any kind of service to 3rd parties? If so you are NOT
allowed to run a GSM gateway.

If it's purely your own traffic i.e. say company PBX to mobile traffic
then it is allowed.

Ofcom ruled on this a while back.

Saying that I've used a Portech GSM gateway on SIP and it works well.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/Mac stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com