[asterisk-users] Log level of 500 Server Internal Error.

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Mon Nov 24 11:44:34 CST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 7:48 PM, Alex Balashov
<abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
> Atis Lezdins wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Alex Balashov
>> <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:

>>> That would generate a lot of debate about what sorts of signaling error
>>> classes are useful to include in the fixed logs and which aren't.
>>>
>>> Best thing to do is just to run your own packet capture and grep for
>>> things of interest to you.
>>>

>> Yes, that's what i would like to start.
>>
>> If a call fails, i think it's reasonable enough to log a warning
>> message. If i haven't seen this before, how would i know that it's bad
>> and search for it? IMHO it's a good indication for network problem (as
>> was midget packet warning recently)
>
> Define "fails."  There are many different scenarios applicable to many
> different people's situations, and I doubt Asterisk can be set up to log
> them all.  SIP also has a complicated state machine;  sometimes call
> "failures" can occur further up the setup flow and not as an immediate
> failure response.
>
> That, I think, is what I was trying to put forth as a possible reason
> why Asterisk doesn't do what you're asking, which is otherwise a fairly
> "obvious" thing to do.

Well, of course there are different scenarios. Asterisk shouldn't warn
if device sends REGISTER and it replies with "UNAUTHORIZED", however
it shold warn when device sends wrong authorization. There are lot of
cases, perhaps not all can be implemented right now, as some would
need complete state information to determine correct/wrong behavior.

Of course there are people who do handling of unsuccessful Dial() and
send outgoing call trough other provider or incoming - to voicemail.
However if SIP device is registered or set as "peer", and replays with
"500 Internal server error" or something similar - that would give
pretty much useful info to newbies about what's going wrong. As
there's currently no complete way how to react to SIP responses, and
DIALSTATUS=CONGESTION isn't much useful.

Regards,
Atis

--
Atis Lezdins,