[asterisk-users] Log level of 500 Server Internal Error.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Nov 21 11:48:47 CST 2008

Atis Lezdins wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Alex Balashov
> <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
>> Atis Lezdins wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> VERBOSE[6120] logger.c:     -- Got SIP response 500 "Server Internal Error"
>>>
>>> I just noticed that i sometimes get those back from provider. They are
>>> currently general SIP message log entries with verbose level 3.
>>>
>>> I wonder if such SIP fails could generate at least WARNING in log?
>>> Currently i'm checking logs for warnings and errors, so i probably
>>> have missed those.. It would be great indication that something is not
>>> ok - either outgoing trunk or local phone is bad.
>> That would generate a lot of debate about what sorts of signaling error
>> classes are useful to include in the fixed logs and which aren't.
>>
>> Best thing to do is just to run your own packet capture and grep for
>> things of interest to you.
>>

> Yes, that's what i would like to start.
>
> If a call fails, i think it's reasonable enough to log a warning
> message. If i haven't seen this before, how would i know that it's bad
> and search for it? IMHO it's a good indication for network problem (as
> was midget packet warning recently)

Define "fails."  There are many different scenarios applicable to many
different people's situations, and I doubt Asterisk can be set up to log
them all.  SIP also has a complicated state machine;  sometimes call
"failures" can occur further up the setup flow and not as an immediate
failure response.

That, I think, is what I was trying to put forth as a possible reason
why Asterisk doesn't do what you're asking, which is otherwise a fairly
"obvious" thing to do.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems