[asterisk-users] database queries from extensions.conf

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Mon Nov 24 08:55:16 CST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 00:42 -0500, Al Baker wrote:
> func_odb only allows a SINGLE  database statement
> Ergo you cannot do Transactions or Multi-statement
> SQL

It's my understanding that one of the Digium developers is working on
adding transaction support to func_odbc.

> Digium should support and ADD to this rather than non putting a SINGLE
> mention of it in the
> last book and making no mention of it at Astricon.

I'm not sure to which book you're referring, as I'm not aware of any
book that Digium has published.  If you're referring to the O'Reilly
book, then the blame lands squarely on my shoulders and the shoulders of
the other two authors.  But just to be clear -- the O'Reilly book was
done completely independently of Digium, and both editions were written
before I was ever hired by Digium.  In short, please don't blame Digium
for my own personal shortcomings :-)

As for AstriCon, please remember that the speakers themselves set their
topics, not Digium.  In my own case, I was asked to fill in for another
speaker who couldn't make it to the conference, and I chose my own
topic.  I'm pretty sure that I mentioned in my presentation on func_odbc
that it's not the only way (or even the best way) to query a relational
database from the dialplan, it just happens to be my preferred method.
(I'd be happy to articulate offline why I feel that way, but I don't
think this is the proper venue for me to do that)  And remember, I don't
claim to speak for Digium or anyone else in this regard.  I'm speaking
as to my *personal* preferences here.

-Jared Smith