[asterisk-users] Large Asterisk installarions (~10, 000 extensions), preferably at universities

Al Baker bwentdg at pipeline.com
Fri Nov 21 01:42:26 CST 2008

Dan Austin wrote:
> Yehavi wrote:
>
>>  Our university has to upgrade soon its old Nortel PBX's
>> which holds around 10,000 extensions tied to 5 PBXes. Up
>> to now we thought about commercial solutions but now
>> there is a window openning for open source solution.
>> However, I need examples to convince that this solution
>> is feasible, and preferably at other universities.
>>

>> Are there any pointers for such installations?
>>

> Sam Houston University migrated from a Cisco CallManager
> and Nortel setup to Asterisk a couple years back.
>
> I do not know any of the specific details, but maybe
> you can track down someone involved in the project.
>
> Dan

Remember - You are going from a CARRIER GRADE purpose built piece of
hardware with Software built under a rigid CMM with extensive
"soak-testing" to software that has been developed under , shall we say,
a somewhat less rigid and stringent methodology.
You will be moving from an environment supported by hundreds of highly
trained people, some with decades of TELCO experience
to one where you support comes from a somewhat less seasoned group of
individuals.
10,000 extensions ???
On Asterisk ???
You pays your money, you takes you chances.