[asterisk-users] Using MAC or extension number as SIP identifier

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Thu Nov 20 13:46:56 CST 2008

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling schrieb:
> Philipp Kempgen wrote:
>> Olivier schrieb:
>>
>>> For a long time, I was wondering if I should use MAC address instead of
>>> Extension number to identify SIP endpoints (as I'm mostly not using
>>> softphones).
>>>
>>> Before diving into this, I wondered how people using MAC address are using
>>> CLI as it seems more natural and simple to type
>>> "sip show peer 4566"  as opposed to "sip show peer 00147F784512".
>>> Is there something obvious I'm missing (auto-completion ? aliasing ? ...) ?
>>
>> SIP accounts are about users (not extensions or devices).
>
> No, SIP "accounts" are about devices.  There is nothing in sip.conf
> (except maybe the callerid= settings) that tie the information to a
> specific user.

I would rather put it like this:
There is nothing in sip.conf that should tie the information to a
specific device.  :-)

> In fact the same user can use multiple devices, all
> listed in sip.conf.

True. Or:
A human user can use multiple SIP accounts (be they on different
devices or just on one).
Just as he/she can use multiple email/Jabber/... accounts.
That's why email addresses like macaddr at domain are so uncommon.
Remember that a user agent is primarily meant to act on behalf
of a user.

That might be nit-picking for many installations but it's important
when you want mobility / hot-desking.

But in the end the peer entries are just names and thus seem to
be a matter of taste. I won't argue about it.

   Philipp Kempgen

--
http://www.das-asterisk-buch.de  -  http://www.the-asterisk-book.com
Amooma GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied  ->  http://www.amooma.de